11 Ways Our Attitude Determines Our Life
Our attitudes control our lives. Attitudes are a secret power working twenty-four hours a day, for good or bad. It is of paramount importance that we know how to harness and control this great force. – Irving Berlin
Attitude is a set way of thinking about a person, place thing or event based on our perceptions and beliefs. Our attitudes are reflected by our conscious and subconscious abilities. The line between taking a stand and having an open mind about a belief.
Attitude is a sub-component of our thoughts ultimately a mirror image of perception. Self-Awareness and Self Consciousness are the key to understanding our attitude and how it’s developed. Attitudes are determined by a large series of factors
- Friends attitude and beliefs
- Family’s attitude and beliefs
- Our view on the world
- TV (News, TV Shows, Music Videos, etc)
- Role models
- Experiences (Past and Present)
The problem with the list of factors however is that many times we are not conscious of our attitude towards things because the world, our surroundings, circumstances and experiences has shaped our attitudes for us and often times we are not even aware of its happenings.
Attitude can affect our:
- Emotional State – Our attitudes are one of the key factors whether we are happy or unhappy about a certain person or situation in our lives.
- Behavioral Influence – Our actions are largely dependent on our attitudes.
9 Ways for developing our attitude of strength
- Self-Awareness. Until we are able to consciously understand and keep track of what we believe in we can’t fully effectively manage it.
- Face the Fear. If we are not particularly happy with certain situations then we must reach out our comfort zone to apply change to our beliefs which will take ultimate cognitive action. It will help lead us to more happy lives.
- Positive Mindset. We have two choices 1.) To think positive or 2.) To think positive about the generalities of life. Positive thinking will always help us become happier.
- Take action outside of our comfort zone. Our attitudes change the second we take action outside of our comfort zone. Our comfort zone is a product of our minds and once we take action outside of something we aren’t comfortable with our experiences change and so does our attitude.
The attitude is very important. Because, your behavior radiates how you feel. -Lou Ferrigno
- Have an open mind. Always be able to look at things from other points of view as often as possible. Learning and listening to others perspectives and knowledge are key.
- Don’t let others completely influence your opinion. Nobody has all the answers but everyone has something unique to bring to the world.
“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.” -Viktor E. Frankl
- Aware that attitude is never stagnant – The world never stays in one spot and neither do we. Our attitudes are largely dependent on our experiences the more experiences that we continue have through our lives the more that our attitudes and beliefs will change.
- Knowledge – Wikipedia states “People need to maintain an organized, meaningful, and stable view of the world. That being said important values and general principles can provide a framework for our knowledge. Attitudes achieve this goal by making things fit together and make sense.”
Which is another reason setting our lives values will help determine our attitude and better understanding of information.
- Improve your Self-Esteem (Self IQ) – If we continue to have a bad attitude about ourselves then our attitudes towards everything else will be held back to its full positive capacity.
- Improve our Emotional Intelligence – Once we are able to understand the meaning behind ours and other’s emotions we can effectively manage our emotions which will help us determine a better clearer attitude towards ourselves and lives of others.
- Personal Growth/Development – Ultimately means improving one’s mind. The more knowledge we gain from the people who have large successes the more we can continue to improve our mind and lives.
Our lives including the relationships with ourselves (How we get along with the thoughts in our head), relationships with people, happiness, and motivation to succeed in life is a sole product of our attitude.
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes. -William James